Friday, March 13, 2009

The Fourth

Okay, so I went to FitDay on the recommendation of a wedding blogger. The site is horribly put together, but it has served its purpose. It took forever*, but I dutifully plugged in all the nutritional information for the food I have access to here that I will eat and all the amounts of various things someone of my height and weight should consuming. Then I used FitDay's food log (which calculates total intake) to figure out a daily menu that I could potentially eat every day to do better.

IknowIknowIknow eating the same thing every day is not ideal, but baby steps, people! Right now, my diet is TERRIBLY unbalanced (picky/lazy + rural China = bad):
  • I'm literally eating fewer than 10 types of food regularly (and two of them are chips and ramen).
  • Not enough protein or veggies (both require a trek to the market AND cooking).
  • Too much fat (half my diet is peanut butter, and the rest is porkfatty stir-fry or chips).
  • Too many processed carbs (whole wheat does not exist here, and those damn chips).
  • I thought I was doing okay calcium-wise (yogurt's decent, reconstituted powdered milk in my cereal, vitamin), but now that I've tallied it up, nope.
And then I'm doing a lot of indifferent bingeing on top of that, because that's what I do.

So, from now on (starting Sunday), I will eat
  • Breakfast: bowl of Grape-Nuts and reconstituted nonfat powdered milk
  • Lunch: peanut butter and banana sandwich, yogurt
  • Dinner: steamed vegetables (3 cups, green, leafy), 1 egg
  • Dessert: hot reconstituted milk with honey
  • Snacks: fruit
...because that means (before snacks)
  • 1179 calories, 40.1g fat, 59g protein, 1726.5mg calcium

...which (with my running) results in




















...which is pretty fly.


To do this, I must:

  • Get up early on Sundays to buy the veggies.
  • Walk faaaaaar to get bread/eggs once a week.
  • STOP BINGEING ON THE FOOD I DO BUY SO I DON'T HAVE TO ACQUIRE FOOD NEARLY SO OFTEN.
  • Ask Song to have the milkman deliver two more yogurts a week.
  • Ask Mom to mail me more Grape-Nuts.
  • Reconcile myself to eggs.
Wish me luck!



*I had to figure out all the Chinese words for English nutritional terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment